Sunday, November 23, 2008

"Gospel Bill" aka Willie George












I was reminded, for the second time this week, about an old friend named "Gospel Bill".
You see, I got saved when I was 25 yrs. old - right after my 4th child was born and embarked on this new 'way of life' with my kids in tow. I was introduced to this new friend in my early years as a believer, and together we raised my kids the best I knew how in the Lord. Of course my relationship with Gospel Bill was through the miracle of television since he and his ministry were out in Oklahoma. Still, my kids quickly made friends with Bill, Nikodemus, Miss Lana, Barkameus, and the rest of the gang.


Here's a little bit of history:

Shortly after receiving Christ at a James Robison crusade in 1972, 17 year-old Willie George took his first steps into a ministry that has now touched the lives of millions. Beginning in a small west Texas town whose population was 1,100, serving as pastor to children and youth, he helped his uncle build a church of 500. Much of that growth resulted from a bus ministry where Pastor George would send buses as far as 75 miles one way to pick up children no one else was reaching. In 1979, Willie George Ministries was founded and began publishing Faith Roots School of the Bible curriculum. Additionally, the ministry travelled across America, taking his creative techniques for children's ministry to hundreds of churches. Willie George Ministries launched its television ministry in 1983 with The Gospel Bill Show.

This of course was just the small beginings for this ministry, but I will be forever grateful! So, THANK YOU Gospel Bill, for being willing to pave the road for my kids!

I have always held on to the scripture that says, "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it" (Prov. 22:6)

I know that God still has a place in their hearts, and I am starting to see them realize this need, and the needs of their own children for Him.

2 comments:

Jaimie said...

That picture is hilarious!!! One word comes to mind: WEIRD:)

Life with Linda said...

Ok they are re-releasing his show on dvd! Today he pastors a Dynamic MEGA CHURCH...where Kids are still the most important thing...and the church runs an awesome Christian school...and the 6th grade teacher's name is...Joel Maus!!