Thursday, April 2, 2009

Stepping out in faith

What does it mean?

God assigns the task - THEN He equips us.

It's the difference between: "If the Lord would give me wings, I would fly", and "If God bids me fly, I will trust Him for the wings".

One of my favorite scenes in the film 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade' is when Indian Jones is standing at the edge of deep, deep valley that seems to plunge down forever. On the other side of this valley is The Holy Grail - just what Indiana has spent his life searching for. But there appears no way across the valley. What can he do? Luckily for Mr Jones he has a parchment he can consult. On the parchment it shows an old faded drawing of a man seemingly walking on air. This must be a leap of faith, says Indiana. So he steps out into what seems like fresh air and finds a bridge waiting for him, and within a couple of steps the Holy Grail is in reach.

If God has given you a task or a special work that seems scary to do, it is your responsibility to step out and do it, and His to see you through.

When we sing: "Where You go, I go; what You say, I say; what you pray, I pray, God"... do we really mean it?

His word to us is: "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go". (Josh. 1:9)

(a paraphrase from Richard De Haan in Our Daily Bread)

1 comment:

Jaimie said...

sounds familiar:)