Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Current-Day Tea Party - Will it make a difference?

I found myself wondering this morning if getting involved in the April 15th (tomorrow) T.E.A. Party (Taxed Enough Already) would really make a difference.
Then, a well-known quote came to mind:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke). That thought was followed by, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it," (Santayana's Aphorism on Repetitive Consequences)

Here's a brief review, for those who - like me - need a refresher:

The Boston Tea Party was the culmination of a long period of stress between England and the Colonies over taxation, and was a key event in the growth of the American Revolution (aka The American War of Independence). It was held in December, 1773, when about sixty men, disguised as Indians, boarded two vessels laden with tea, tore open the hatches, and threw 340 chests overboard, as a protest against the levy of taxes without the consent of the people. This ultimately resulted in the Declaration of Independence and the reshaping of our nation.
The deciding factor for me was God's Word for the day from
2 Chronicles 7:14
“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”
So, I will be there. Even if it is just to stand off to the side and pray. What about you?
For more information about this nationwide event, go to: http://www.teapartyday.com/

No comments: