Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Amazing Grace!


Do you ever think about grace? Do you really understand it? I thought I did! I’ve heard many teachings through the years, and read a lot of scripture. I’ve seen the word placed in an acronym – you know:
God’s
Riches
At
Christ’s
Expense
I’ve heard it simply referred to as ‘God’s unmerited favor’, and have even thought of it as something God extends to us after we have blown it!

The grace of God. Webster defines it as ‘the influence or Spirit of God operating in humans to regenerate or strengthen them’. Now we are getting close, but here is where it really hit me - I was reading John Bevere’s book Driven by Eternity when I came upon this heading “The TRUE Grace of God” (emphasis mine). What was revealed in the next few paragraphs is what I want to share.

The author starts off by telling us how we distort the message of grace (see the book of Jude) and tells us what grace is not. Have you ever heard this common statement? “I know I’m not living the way I should, but thank God for His grace.” Grace is NOT a big band-aid, nor is it God’s protection for our disobedient lifestyles, but rather God’s empowering presence within to do what truth demands of us. It empowers us to OBEY, and the evidence that we’ve truly received it is our godly lifestyle!
We leave such a huge gap if we just stop at “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved”. Remember, even the demons believed in Him!
The evidence of truly being saved by the grace of Jesus Christ is that we will have the lifestyle to prove it! (Read 1 John 2:3-6)
Friends, the goal is NOT TO SIN! We’ve got the power of God’s grace so we can set our sights on a life like Christ, for we are free from the control of the nature of disobedience.
Yes, IF we sin, we have an Advocate (1 John 2:1-2).

“Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably (Heb. 12:28 – emphasis – John Bevere’s)

Just a thought…………

No comments: