Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Reminiscing about the days of old!

I've been hearing a lot lately about how much more stressful 
and busy life is today.





Life was so much easier back in my day!

Granted, it was slightly busier on the holidays.  Take Easter for instance:

Back in my day it meant waking up early enough to pray and then get myself ready before having to wake the 4 kids and get them ready for church (after the chocolate was wiped from their faces of course!); Get them to and from church (by myself), then rush home to make a couple side dishes so we can go visiting.  (It was always 3 different houses every holiday back then!)  I would pack up the kids, diaper bags, the food and gifts (so glad I only had 3 in diapers at once for just a few months!).  Then we would visit and corral the kids for hours in between serving and cleaning up the meals; Drive the exhausted and sleeping children home after a long day (did I mention that we lived an hour away from all those relatives for about 4 of those years?); and then we’d carry them to their beds.  Afterwards I would put all the food we brought home from Gramma’s away in the fridge, feed the dog and sit down to reflect on what a good day it was!

Good thing the rest of the days in the year were easy! 
Oh, except for every Sunday and Wednesday, dressing and bringing them to church; and Monday - Friday for school.  Lunches, homework – can’t forget the homework!  And, oh, laundry –YOWSERS!  Where did those heaps of clothes come from?!  Then it was off to dance, T-ball, Cub Scouts, soccer, cheer leading and football.  Did I forget anything? Oh yeah, lots of cooking! There was no eating out – it was too expensive; and dishes (by hand for many years).  
I also have to include the waitressing so I could afford to send them to Christian school. 
Next, were the teenage years. Wow! Was that fun!  

Still, God got me through it all, because I stayed close to Him throughout.  But if I could change anything, it would be less T.V., less putting pressure on myself and more prayer and time with God!


Now, I sit back and watch the next generation raising their own families, and I pray for them.  Yes, they work hard and they love their kids.  The holidays are hard though. And, it’s harder to get together with family now.  There is just too much going on! 


If only life was as easy for them now as it was for me 
back in the day! 
(I know, there is a little sarcasm mixed in there - but mostly reality!)



Could it be that there are even more things vying for our attention nowadays?  Video games, iPads, social media, movies, sports and entertainment all seem to play a part.  For many, it doesn't seem church is getting in their way (Oops!); So what is it?  Blended families?  (Yes, that is something the last generation didn't have as much of, but has to be considered!)  
Or is it priorities?  Less time seeking God? I think maybe all of it.  
Do we not have time, or do we not MAKE time?  Is there a difference?
What is the answer?  What is sucking up your time that has no eternal value?

"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

Seriously though, maybe you can't do it all!  Maybe you're not supposed to!  Families really are under a lot more pressure today, but who is putting that pressure on them?  The world? Themselves? Who told them that they have to be involved in all that they are doing? Life is so busy today, you can't even sit around at the dinner table and talk!

What I read in God's word is an offer of peace, contentment and a lighter burden.  

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  Not as the world gives do I give to you.  Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid."
(John 14:27)
"The theif cometh not but to steal and to kill and to destroy.  I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."  (John 10:10)
"My yoke is easy, and my burden is light."  (Matt. 11:30)

Take a little advice from someone who has been there and stop 
putting so much pressure on yourself.  And by far, my best days were when I put God first! 
What would you change or cut out if you could?  Would you add anything?
Just a thought!

No comments: