Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Joplin, MO Disaster Relief - May 28, 2011 - Day 1

I am totally amazed at how God provided for every aspect of this trip - down to even the minutest of details!  

Let me back up. On Sunday, May 22, 2011 around 5:30 p.m. a multi-vortex tornado (now verified as an EF5) made a "direct hit" near 13th and Rangeline Road (a densely populated neighborhood and major thoroughfare) where several buildings - including a Walmart and St. John's Hospital - were toppled to the ground or totaled. The tornado was approximately 1 mile wide, and it tore a path 13 miles long, leveling almost everything in it's path and causing severe to moderate damage to the areas directly on either side.

On Monday, while I was at work, it was so heavy on my heart, that I wanted to go down there and help in whatever way I could.  I immediately felt in my spirit that God was telling me, "You CAN go. There is no reason not to." The thought of it took my breath for a minute, but as I started to consider the possibility of changing a few plans, and cashing in that 'Vacation Fund' from the piggy bank, I started to get excited. At that moment, I made the decision to go, and believed that if God was in it, He would take care of the details.  That first step opened up a floodgate of blessing and provision that was beyond what I could even ask or think. I began to search the Internet for a group to hook up with, and found that the Samaritan's Purse Disaster Relief Team would be there and they were looking for volunteers.  That was as far as I had to look, and within minutes most of the connections and details were taken care of.  I even put the word out, and dared to ask some friends and family to help fill my back seat with supplies and goods for the tornado victims.  They not only filled my car, but all the funds to pay for gas, meals, and even some lodging were taken care of.  I was also looking for a travel companion, which came through just the night before I was ready to leave.  Not only that, but a last minute text by my Daughter-in-law to a friend of hers in Springfield, gave us a place to stay while we were there!  After all of this happened, I recalled a quote from Leonard Ravenhill who said, "If God be your partner, make your plans large!"  (I'm sure going to remember that for next time!)  
Shari and I left around 6pm on Friday, May 27th; stopped for about 5 hrs. of sleep, then arrived in Joplin, MO around 4pm on Saturday.  We pulled up at the Forest Park Baptist Church which had quickly become a Headquarters for several Volunteer groups including Samaritan's Purse.  They directed us to their property across the street where we could empty the car of all the donations, then park and go to work with them in their bus garage which was converted into a Drop-off Site/Store, where the victims could come and shop "free" for all the goods and supplies that they needed. 

 
It was like a beehive where all the workers were simultaneously unpacking boxes, filling shelves and helping people to "shop" all at the same time!  

 It was so wonderful and amazing to see people from all over the country and community coming together to do anything and everything they could to help!

No comments: